Daniel Blanco Albert
Composer, Conductor, Performer, Researcher.
From Moncada, Valencia. Based in Birmingham (UK). 08/01/1993
· 2019 – 2022 Research to PhD (Music and Performing Arts), Birmingham City University. Ongoing. Title: Composition strategies for the creation of science-based interdisciplinary and collaborative music theatre.
· 2019 – 2020 PGCert in Research Practice, Birmingham City University (Distinction)
· 2016 – 2018 MMus Composition, Royal Birmingham Conservatoire, Birmingham City University (Distinction)
· 2014- 2016 BMus (Hons) Composition First Class Honours, Royal Birmingham Conservatoire, Birmingham City University
· 2011- 2018 Grado (equivalent to BMus) en Composición, Conservatorio Superior “Joaquín Rodrigo” de Valencia
· 2011- 2013 2 years of Trumpet Performance studies, Conservatorio Superior “Joaquín Rodrigo” de Valencia
AWARDS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
· 2019 – Midlands4Cities Open Doctoral Award (Arts and Humanities Research Council)
· 2019 – Hinrichsen Foundation Grant: Development of the Beer Opera Trilogy Besse in collaboration with the art gallery Grand Union and the local brewery Digbrew Co.
· 2018 – Premio Extraordinario Fin de Carrera de Composición – Conservatorio Superior “Joaquín Rodrigo” de Valencia (Extraordinary Prize in Composition)
· 2018 – Arts Council England Grant: Three performances of the opera “Entanglement! An Entropic Tale” at Tête à Tête Opera Festival in London, King’s College London and University of Nottingham.
· 2018/2019 – Grand Union Residency– Artistic residency in Digbeth, Birmingham.
· 2017 – Philip Bates Composition prize: “When close to a heat death… Entropy comes easy”.
· 2017 – Birmingham Chamber Music Society Composition Prize– “duende, evocació”
· 2017 – Birmingham Conservatoire Endowment Fund / McQueen Bursary
· 2017 – Birmingham School of music Centenary Appeal Fund Award
· 2016/2017 – Leverhulme Trust Art Scholarship
· 2016 – Birmingham Conservatoire Orchestral Composition Prize– “La Obisparra”
· 2015 – Philip Bates Composition prize: “Sageta de Foc”
· 2015 – Birmingham Conservatoire Scholarship
· 2014 – ERASMUS Scholarship
- Music Supervisor and Composer – Macbeth Projecto. Virtual theatre performance by the award-winning experimental theatre company from Brazil Os Satyros and the CIPA (Centre for Interdisciplinary Performing Arts, Birmingham). 04/12/2020
- Workshop leader (Devising) - Royal Birmingham Conservatoire: 4 hours in March.
- Workshop leader (Protest Choir) – Birmingham School of Art: weekly from October.
- Workshop leader (Composition) – Goldsmiths University of London, Department of Design. Day workshop, February 7th.
- Research Officer (Erasmus+ Speculative Edu grant) – Goldsmiths University of London, Department of Design. July to November
- Opera Animateur Black Country Engage – Welsh National Opera: Role of Composer, Conductor and Mentor on the creation of a new opera with young people. Topic of Carmen. Ongoing.
- Conductor – Welsh National Opera: Preparation of a concert for a young PMLD audience. February 14th.
- Workshop leader (Protest Choir) – Birmingham School of Art: October 2019 to June 2020.
- Opera Animateur Black Country Engage – Welsh National Opera: Role of Composer, Conductor and Mentor on the creation of a new opera with young people. Topic of Freedom.
- Arranger – Godella Chamber Music Festival: Re-instrumentation of several pieces by the XIX century composers Manuel Palau and Salvador Giner.
- Workshop leader (Protest Choir) – Birmingham School of Art: October 2018 to June 2019.
- Co-Artistic Director, Resident Composer and Conductor of Infinite Opera: Ongoing.
Productions: Entanglement! An Entropic Tale (2018), Besse (2019), The Flowering Desert (2020).
Commissions: Dry Eyes (2019) in collaboration with Grand Union Birmingham, In Response to Naum Gabo, Linear Construction in Space N01 (2020) in collaboration with The Barber Institute of Fine Arts (Birmingham).
Outreach: We are Balsall Heath (2018), street performance preceded by a series of opera devising workshops for young people.
- Arranger – Moonwinds ensemble and Cristina Montes (harpist): Reconstruction of the Concerto pour le jour de l'an by the composer Salvador Bacarisse.
2016 and 2017
- Composer of Music for Theatre – Birmingham School of Acting. 2017: Blood Wedding, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Phaedra, Holy Day, Pentecost, Dream Big, Macbeth Projeto. 2016: The Two Gentlemen of Verona, Ciphers.
2014 and 2015
- Language Mentor (Spanish), 2014; Project Manager, 2015 – StAMP project: Language mentorship from international students. Birmingham City University.
- Arranger and editor – Moonwinds ensemble and Joan Enric Lluna (clarinettist): Reconstruction of the Fantasia per a clarinet i orquestra by the composer Ramon Carnicer.
2011 to 2013
- Music Teacher / Conductor – Unió Musical de Moncada: Conductor of the two ensembles of the music school (ages 8-12 and 12-18).
- Arranger and editor – Moonwinds ensemble and Joan Enric Lluna (clarinettist): Edition of the Fantasia Española by the composer Julián Bautista.
- BCU’s ADM >connectedness, interactions, provocations, collaborations and Midlands4Cities 2020 Research Festival – Co-presenter of the collaborative work The Flowering Desert: An opera in response to the TRAPPIST 1 solar system. Study 1 – The Measurer with the librettist Roxanne Korda.
- Rose Bruford College “Music on Stage Conference” 2016 – Co-presenter of the paper The Sins of Sor Juana - Collaborative Interaction with the theatre director Lise Olson.
· 2021 – SEDA Introduction to Learning and Teaching in Higher Education
· 2019 - Capacitació llengües: anglès i valencià (professional teaching certificate from the Valencian government)
· 2004- 2010 – Grau Professional en Trompeta (professional degree in trumpet performance). Conservatori Professional de Música de Moncada.